Semester: Spring 2018
Data Communication– CS601
Total Marks: 15
Due Date: 03/08/2018
· To understand the concept of Error Detection and Correction based on different Conversion Techniques.
Please carefully read the following instructions before Attempting the Assignment.
It should be clear that your assignment would not get any credit if:
- Assignment sent via Email will not be replied and accepted/graded in any case.
- If the submitted assignment does not open or file is corrupt, it will not be graded.
- Assignment should be completed by your own efforts it should not be copied from internet, handouts or books.
Assignment is covered from Chapter no 4 to 5 complete (From Topic 124 to Topic 165 – Lessons).
- The assignment is submitted after due date.
- The submitted assignment does not open or file is corrupt.
- The assignment is copied. Note that strict action would be taken if the submitted assignment is copied from any other student. Both students will be punished severely.
1) You should consult recommended books to clarify your concepts as handouts are not sufficient.
2) You are supposed to submit your assignment in .doc or docx format. Any other formats like scan images, PDF, Zip, rar, bmp etc will not be accepted.
3) You are advised to upload your assignment at least two days before due date.
Assignment comprises of 10 Marks. Note that no assignment will be accepted after due date via email in any case (whether it is the case of load shedding or emergency electric failure or internet malfunctioning etc.). Hence, refrain from uploading assignment in the last hour of the deadline, and try to upload Solutions at least 02 days before the deadline to avoid inconvenience later on.
For any query please contact: CS601@vu.edu.pk
Question. 1 (5 Marks)
Suppose a station (PC-1) wants to transmit a message to a station (PC-2) as a list of five 4-bit numbers. In order to have an error-free transmission, PC-1 adds a 4-bit checksum at the end of this message to enable error detection at the receiver end. If the set of data contained in the message is (5, 12, 15, 3, 10), calculate the 4-bit checksum needed to be appended with the data using the one’s compliment arithmetic.
Question. 2 (5 Marks)
A station is transmitting data at a rate of 1.5Mbps over a channel which gets affected by an instantaneous noise source for a short period of time. If the noise occurs for duration of 0.1 msec (milliseconds), how many bits are going to be impacted by this burst error?
Question #3: (5 Marks)
In Block-coding, we divide our message into blocks, each of ‘k’ bits, called datawords and then add ‘r’ redundant bits to each block to make the length ‘n = k + r’. The resulting ‘n-bit’ blocks are called codewords. Two station agree upon using an “odd parity” block coding scheme in which every datawords is appended with one parity bit to make an odd parity codeword (Number of 1s in the codeword should be odd). If they use dataword of length 3 (k=3), then draw the table for this coding scheme representing each dataword with its corresponding codewords.
CS601 Assignment_3 Solution Spring_2018 ———————- Download